I was searching through the Software Center one day and came across this:
Thankfully this is not 1985, and I have access to the internet. I was able to come up with the following solution that makes Radiotray work AND display in the Notification area, so I don't have to monkey with browsing for it or cluttering up my dock: WIN - WIN!!
Here's what I did:
1. Go ahead and install Radio Tray from the Software Center, it won't work right now, but it's OK.
2. <Super+T> to open a terminal and type:
- cd /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray
3. Once you're in that directory, type:
- sudo scratch-text-editor SysTray.py
4. Within Scratch, find this:
and comment out (add # before) gtk.gdk.threads_init(), like this:
Wait a few seconds for it to save (I do anyway.)
5. Then just start it from the Applications menu, and it should work. Add stations, listen to the stock ones, add it to your Startup, whatever you want to do! Here is the indicator in action with the Notification for the station I selected.